Second Chance Animal Rescue Society (SCARS) is a non-profit, registered charitable organization dedicated to reducing the number of homeless animals in Northern Alberta, Canada. Since 2002, SCARS has rescued, rehabilitated and re-homed thousands of companion animals.
Our mission is to promote the humane care and protection of all animals and to prevent cruelty and suffering. We believe there is a suitable home for all homeless animals: young or old; large or small. We provide veterinary care and foster homes until permanent homes are found. Our foster homes provide the animals with warm shelter, food, exercise and tender loving care — something that so many of these animals have never experienced. We also promote responsible pet ownership, the importance of spaying and neutering, and community awareness.
We rely solely on money raised through memberships, donations, grants, sponsorships and other fundraising efforts. Because we have no paid staff and use private homes for fostering, we can only take in as many animals as our resources will allow. Here are some ways you can help:
- Donate or sponsor: our veterinary expenses are enormous. Please consider donating to our rescue efforts. We issue tax receipts for all donations of $20 or more.
- Foster an animal: we rely on our volunteer foster homes to provide temporary care until we can find suitable permanent homes. There is no cost to becoming a foster home. We will provide everything you need.
- Volunteer: we need help with fundraising, adoption events, animal care and transportation and our daily operations. As a volunteer, you will become an integral part of a team that saves animals’ lives.
- Adopt an animal: provide a needy animal with a loving, permanent home. To see pictures of adoptable animals visit www.scarscare.org
- Please be a responsible pet (guardian): spay or neuter, microchip and vaccinate your pets! And remember, all pets need food, water, shelter, healthcare, exercise, love and attention.
- Buy our merchandise: purchase SCARS calendars, clothing, totes, leashes, lunch bags, or one of our “Gifts from the Heart” certificates. Visit our website for more information.
Please watch us on Global TV Edmonton every Saturday morning at 9:50 a.m., subscribe to our e-Newsletter at www.scarscare.org, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. We welcome feedback or suggestions for our newsletter.