One or more of these “10 subtle signs of sickness” could be a sign of stress. And Dr. Liz Ruelle, a feline specialist practicing at Wild Rose Cat Clinic in Calgary recommends calling your veterinarian if you notice anything amiss with your kitty. “Know what the status quo is with your cat, and if you’re seeing a change, and especially if you see one or more of the top 10 signs of sickness, then that’s a reason to be calling your vet,” she says.
10 subtle signs of sickness:
- Inappropriate elimination behaviour: urinating or defecating outside the litter box
- Changes in interactions: A social cat not wanting to be touched or a cat that is not typically cuddly wanting to be cuddled
- Changes in activity levels, either up or down
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Changes in water intake
- Increased or decreased water or food consumption
- Unexplained weight loss
- Changes in grooming habits
- Changes in vocalization
- Bad breath
For more information about caring for your cats, visit the American Association of Feline Practitioners at www.catvets.com and click on “Cat Owners” on the navigation bar.